Setting Up the Implementation Model with UCM Using Rational ClearCase
This tool mentor describes how to set up a configuration management environment
with Rational ClearCase Unified Change Management
Related Rational Unified Process (RUP) information:
The following diagram illustrates the workflow for managing UCM projects.
Shaded areas are discussed in this tool mentor.
This tool mentor is applicable when running Microsoft Windows. It
describes features available in full ClearCase.
There are some differences between RUP terminology and that used by
ClearCase. The following definitions of tool-specific terminology should help
clarify the differences.
- Activity: A ClearCase activity maps closely to a RUP Work
Order. Do not confuse it with the RUP concept of an Activity.
- Configuration Management: ClearCase's use of the term Configuration
Management refers to Version Control and Build Management. RUP uses the IEEE
and ISO definitions of Configuration
Management (CM), which also includes Change Management as part of CM.
- Configuration and Change Management: Both ClearCase and Rational
ClearQuest refer to Configuration and Change Management, which is similar to
the RUP definition of Configuration
Management. RUP uses these terms synonymously.
- Project: A ClearCase project maps to the RUP Project
To set up a UCM project:
ClearCase projects require a project VOB (PVOB), which is used to store UCM objects and
- Create a repository for
storing project information
- Create components that contain the set of
files the developers work on
- Create baselines that identify the versions
of files with which the developers start their work
- Create the UCM project
- To start the VOB Creation Wizard, from the Windows task bar, click Start > Programs > Rational ClearCase
Administration > Create VOB.
- At the first screen, be sure that the UCM project data check box is
- Select Help, which provides guidance for completing the wizard.
to the topic VOB Creation Wizard in ClearCase online Help for detailed
Components are used to group a set of related directory and file elements
within a UCM project. Typically, you develop, integrate, and release the
elements that make up a component together. A project must contain at least one
component, and it can contain multiple components. Projects can share
You can create a component with the VOB Creation Wizard:
- Click Start > Programs > Rational ClearCase Administration >
- At the first step of the wizard, check Create VOB as a UCM component.
The new VOB can be used as a component by UCM projects.
You can also migrate existing data stored in VOBs to UCM projects by
converting existing VOBs into components:
- Navigate to ClearCase Project Explorer. From the Windows task bar, click Start
> Programs > Rational ClearCase > Project Explorer.
- Select the root folder of the
- Click Tools > Import VOB. The Import VOB dialog box
appears. In the Available VOBs list, select the VOB that you want to make
into a component.
- To move the VOB to the VOBs to Import list, click Add.
- When you are finished, click Import.
See the section
titled "Creating Components" in the ClearCase manual titled Managing Projects.
3. Create baselines that identify the versions of
files with which the developers start their work
Baselines identify one version of every element of a component, representing a
stable source configuration from which to start work. Their use is required by
the UCM model to access files and directories of a component.
When ClearCase components are created from scratch, they are created with an
If you are converting a base ClearCase VOB into a component, you can make
baselines from existing labeled versions. Check
whether the latest stable versions are labeled. If they are not, you need
to create a label type and apply it to the versions that you plan to include in
For detailed information, refer to the topic Using
the Apply Label Wizard in ClearCase
To create a baseline from the set of
versions identified by a label type:
- In ClearCase Project Explorer, select the root folder for the PVOB. Click Tools
> Import Label. The Import Label Wizard appears.
- In the Available Components list, select the component that
contains the label from which you want to create a baseline.
- To move the component to the Selected Components list, click Add.
- Click Next when finished.
- In Step 2 of the Import Label Wizard, select the label type that you want
to import. Enter the name of the baseline that you want to create for the
versions identified by that label type. Select the baseline's promotion
level. Click Finish.
This procedure creates one of the project's foundation baselines, which
identify the versions of files with which the developers start their work.
Refer to the
Create and manage baselines topics in ClearCase online Help.
After creating a project VOB and the components you will use, you are ready to
create the UCM project. To do this, you must supply a project name, and identify
project components and baselines for the project. ClearCase provides a Create
New Project Wizard that walks you through the steps of this procedure.
- In the ClearCase Project Explorer, select the root folder of the PVOB.
Click Create New Project from the context menu to start the wizard.
- Follow the steps presented by the wizard. Help for each step is available
by clicking the Help button on each screen.
- At Step 3 of the wizard, Add the component baselines to be used in this
project, specify the baselines you created in procedure 3 above.
- The next two steps of the wizard ask you to specify detailed configuration
information for your project, including development policies, and whether to
enable the project to work with a Rational ClearQuest user database.
Configuration can be tailored to meet your project's specific needs. See the
online Help for a description of all available options.
Refer to the following topics in ClearCase online
Help for an overview of this procedure:
- Workflow for creating projects
- New Project Wizard
© 1987 - 2001 Rational Software Corporation